Asteria Albert Cazalla
Assistant Professor of Paediatrics
- Graduated from Medical School at the Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona.
- Resident in Pediatric Surgery in San Sebastián (Prof. J Tovar), obtaining her Specialty Diploma in 1983.
- PhD in Medicine cum laude by the Universitat de Barcelona in 1994 after own research on gastroschisis.
- Extraordinary PhD Award in 1995 (Universitat de Barcelona).
- Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Universitat de Barcelona Medical Shool, starting in Fall 2012.
- Fellow of the European Board of Paediatric Surgery
- Assistant Pediatric Surgeon (1 year), full junior Pediatric Surgeon (12 years) and senior Pediatric Surgeon (until present) at the Hospital Clínic and Hospital Sant Joan de Déu, Universitat de Barcelona (Prof. L Morales, Dr. J Ribó) (1986-2012).
- Examiner for the European Board of Paediatric Surgery
- Research Fellow at the UCLA, California, (Prof EW Fonkalsrud) with a grant from the Spanish Ministery of Health (1983-84). Work on parenteral nutrition and intestinal motility.
- Short research stay (6 months) at the UCSF, California, (Prof. M Harrison) in 1987. Work on fetal surgery models.
- Short research stay (9 months) at the Sophia Children's Hospital, Erasmus University, Rotterdam (Prof. D Tibboel). Work on diaphragmatic hernia.
- Researcher with own experimental projects under public Spanish institutional financiation. Works on fetal wound healing, gastroschisis, spina bifida and diaphragmatic hernia.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Participating in Solidary Surgery campaigns.
- Plastic and reconstructive Pediatric Surgery. Cleft lip and palate.
- Surgical oncology.
- Fetal diagnosis and perinatal treatment.
- Research, Education.